Network problems on 5k iMac from migrated older iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NJRonbo, Oct 29, 2014.

1. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Hello everyone!

Got my 5k iMac yesterday.

I did a migration from a SuperDuper backup of my older 2012 iMac.

Before the migration, network (internet) worked perfectly.

Once restored, copying over former network settings, Internet refuses to work via ethernet or wireless.

My latest attempt at migration was done copying everything off of the SuperDuper drive EXCEPT network settings and the Internet worked. However, once I initiated LittleSnitch, my network went kaput.

What settings from the old iMac could be affecting the network settings on the new 5k iMac?

And, kindly please, spare me the speeches on how I shouldn't be doing migrations. I have too much custom GeekTool stuff set up and I had to go the migration route -- and usually -- it works flawlessly.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

2. thagomizer macrumors 6502

I also did a migration (using Migration Assistant) from a SuperDuper backup, and I haven't seen any network problems. My WiFi connection came up right away after the migration.

However I did have a problem with my fan running at high speed. The only way I was able to get around this was to make a Yosemite installer on a thumb drive, completely erase my retina iMac's drive, install Yosemite from scratch, and do the migration all over again. Then everything was fine.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Have you tried just putting in the network values? I've had mine go kaput after migrations several times.

Lots of things could be affected. You could be getting a new IP address; obviously the new machine can't have the same one as the old machine, and that could break some stuff.

I'd just start over with new network connections and see if that works.