Network Problems Only on Apple Products

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SMDBill, Jun 3, 2013.

1. SMDBill, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

SMDBill macrumors 6502

Curious if anyone else has experienced this or has suggestions to help resolve. I believe the issue is my router, not the machines, but the one common link is it only affects Apple products (iPhones (4 and 4S), iPad Mini and Macbook Pros).

Sometimes all our computers, iPad and phones work fine on the home network. WEP encryption used (yeah, too lazy to change to WPA2). The router is a newer Netgear but I can't recall the model (I'm at work). Occasionally, perhaps 1-2 times per week lately, I have to reset power to the router because anything we have on iOS or OSX will disconnect and none of them will reconnect until power is reset to the router.

Also on my network are 2 Android phones, 1 Linux desktop, 1 Acer Chromebook, an XBox 360, a PS3 and a Windows laptop. All of these devices remain connected, and can connect/disconnect on command, when whatever the issue is arises, but none of the Apple products can reconnect.

Have you experienced this before or do you have suggestions on things to try besides mandatory resets? It's causing me to suspect the router is going bad but baffles me why any non-Apple product works fine all the time.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

I would switch to WPA2 and see if anything changes.

Yes, you'll have to spend some time converting all the devices. But in terms of expenditures or finding and running advanced diagnostics, it's about as cheap and simple as it could be.

I would also do some google searching for your specific router model and see if there are others who share the problem with dropped connections that only involve Apple products.

3. SMDBill thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll give it a shot. Didn't consider the type of encryption could be a factor but costs nothing to try.