Network problems ?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Marco-Rat, May 29, 2011.

1. Marco-Rat macrumors newbie

I hope someone can help....this is drivin' me crazy all day now...ha ha !!!
    Maybe its really simple...but I'm using Mac for a few months only...
    so its all new to me...

lets start at the beginning...
    I had a network, 1 Imac 24" and 2 pc's...all worked great together..
    I watched 1080p movies from my imac over the network to my Playon HD (streamer), worked fine...Mac is on, I switched on the Playon HD, started the browser, it found WORKGROUP, and I could see my 2 pc's and my Imac....could stream every file from the Mac and the pc's...

yesterday I bought a new 27" Imac, because one of the pc's was getting a bit old, so I pulled the network cable out and removed the pc, in its place I connected the network cable to my new Imac....so far so good...I could transfer stuff between both Imac's...so everything seemed to work fine...
    But when I switched on the Playon HD, it started looking, but couldnt log in on my WORKGROUP....it did not find both Imac's....
    I checked if everything was the same on both Imac's (sharing files) and changed a few things...when I tried to log on to the Play on HD, it still couldnt find the WORKGROUP and the Imac's....

I thought maybe it had something to do with the new Imac, so I disconnected the network cable from the new Imac, so the network was back to how it was before (minus the one pc, I changed for the new Imac). I tried again but still couldnt log on....It cant seem to find the WORKGOUP ?!?

can it be that the name WORKGROUP (the network name) is changed ?
    I don't know where to find that info...I can see the names of both Imac's, but the name WORKGROUP, is nowhere to be found on both imac's, so I guess that the problem....
    Hope this all makes sence........

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Sounds like you're relying on NetBIOS/NetBEUI "Workgroup" setup and maybe you have a master browser problem. (the PC you unplugged was likely that browser...) I don't know but windows networking was garbage, and it still is. You need to see if there's any other method that you can connect your Playon device. I'm sure if you check Playon's forums there will be many like you. It's not the Mac's problem.

3. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I'm assuming the sharing preferences in your settings is fine since u said u can transfer things, so that is somthing to check. But if that is all I would go with the above post.

4. Marco-Rat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx for the fast reply's...
    I will check the Playon HD forum....hope that's the problem :)