Network problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Albone, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Albone macrumors regular

At work, I'm a mac user connected to a PC server, and up until last Wedesday, it worked fine. I even had the server automount on startup. Now, not only does it not mount on startup, but when I try to browse the network, NOTHING shows up, even though I can connect to another (different) PC through applescript and 'recent servers' under Recent Items. An interesting note is that a PC in my office can connect to all of the servers, including the pesky one without a problem. Oh yeah, I can use the internet just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try?

Incidentally, there is an IT guy and he's a nice enough joe, but when it comes to Mac problems, it's just not a priority for him. If I want to get this fixed, I think I'm going to have to do it myself.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ask for the IP of the server from this Joe guy, and then use Network Utility to try pinging it. See whether it can be seen at all by your machine. :)

3. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the help MJ. As it turns out, the IT guy is out til tomorrow, but remarkably the server popped up today! I don't know why or how, but I'm not complaining. I'll keep your suggestion in mind for the inevitable return of this problem. ;)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew