Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Hello, I am trying to make my OSX server the main hub for the internet in my house. Currently I have a linksys router doing all of the work, but I am having issues with the VPN on leopard. I want to bypass the router all together, and just have my server share its internet with my network.

Would this work:

-Internet from ISP comes in from cable modem to a switch
-Macbook Pro (Leopard Server) plugged directly into the switch
-Linksys also plugged into the switch running DHCP but statically addressed so it does not pull my ISP IP address. Gateway on the router is set to go through my server. Linksys will broadcast wireless signal to my house, while the server shares its internet connection through the switch/cable modem

Will this work? If not, would I have to share the internet from the server via the wireless card with an ADHOC network?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello, I am trying to make my OSX server the main hub for the internet in my house. Currently I have a linksys router doing all of the work, but I am having issues with the VPN on leopard. I want to bypass the router all together, and just have my server share its internet with my network.

Would this work:

-Internet from ISP comes in from cable modem to a switch
-Macbook Pro (Leopard Server) plugged directly into the switch
-Linksys also plugged into the switch running DHCP but statically addressed so it does not pull my ISP IP address. Gateway on the router is set to go through my server. Linksys will broadcast wireless signal to my house, while the server shares its internet connection through the switch/cable modem...

So you want to put your server directly on the Internet? Right?

OK if so, you can do that but what you really need are multiple network interface on the server, Say two Ethernet ports. One port goes to the modem (not switch required) this interface gets it's IP address from your ISP's DHCP server. The other interface is a fixed non-routeable local IP. You will need to run a DHCP server on the server. You wil also need to run a firewall on the server and know how to edit it's rules.

The routers can be set to "bridge mode" and will simply bridge the local Ethernet to wireless.

I used a setup like this for years bt only my server ran Linux. Using a Mac as a router is a bit of a waste

The basic rule is that you never want to place local network traffic on a LAN segment that is also connected to the Internet. Notice that ALL routers have at least two network interfaces

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Well im having problems connecting to my VPN from outside, so I want to put the server on the outside. Is there away to do this while its plugged into the router? I tried forwarding all ports to the server, but still am having problems.

Also, I think a switch would perform the same as you listed if I point the routers gateway to the server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.