Network Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacKenzie999, Jun 23, 2014.

1. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

Hi everyone...

I have just replaced my old Rosewill wireless N router with a new Airport Extreme. I'm wondering if the old router is now junk or can it be used as a wireless network extender? Any advice for this not-terribly-networking-savvy user will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well the Airport Extreme is a Dual Band router. So separate the 2.4 canals from the N.So use the upper Channels for the N/AC part and the low channels for the 2.4 network. Plus give your Wireless N/AC network a different name for that network and the 2.4 network. This will have a positive effect on the different devices to separate the faster N/AC network from the 2.4 network.

3. COrocket macrumors 6502

You should be able to, but you'd have to check the user manual to see if your old router supports network extending. I would walk around the areas that you anticipate using wireless devices and check the signal strength. You can use something like speedtest.net as a simple test to make sure you are getting sufficient internet speed in a variety of places.

If the new extreme has good coverage, I would skip using the old router.

4. MacKenzie999 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys...I'm hoping the old N won't be necessary, I just hate throwing away perfectly usable but old tech.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

If the stock firmware won't do it check to see if your model can be flashed with DD-WRT or another 3rd party firmware that will.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If it is connected by Ethernet it will work for sure. Otherwise it goes by what is in the firmware.