Network Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mactastic, Mar 11, 2010.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Here's my question -- I've got a 1meg wireless internet connection from my service provider, but somewhere along the way the connection degrades from the 1-2megs the service technician gets at his laptop with a direct connection, to the 200-300kbps I see as the end user when the signal is run through my network. Current network router is an approx. 7 year old AEBS with a b/g wireless capability (the one that had the phone modem included). I've even shut down all the computers on the network and run the iPhone SpeedTest.net app, and I still get much slower speeds over the wireless network than the technician was able to get to his laptop with the hardline connection.

My understanding is that even with an 802.11b base station, I've got 11Mbps of bandwidth for my home network, so it shouldn't even need to be asked; but is it possible that the router is somehow causing this problem? And if so, is fixable or it just time to upgrade to a new AEBS? Or is something else potentially causing the choke point? I'd rather not buy a new router if that's not the problem, but I'm at a loss for what else it could be.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Try changing the channel the wireless operates over. You could be getting interference from other wireless devices, causing TCP throttling due to packet loss.