Network Recovery to Non-Apple SSD ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jedi, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

Hi Guy`s ,

With all the reading I have done regarding the "retina display issues" , I`m considering a regular MPB 15".

It it would be the 8GB > 750BG HDD model , and in doing some research about HDD sensors , I found this on Apple`s web-site :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

I am aware that non Apple branded SSD`s are not Trim supported ( at least not without some working knowledge of machine code ) , so I saw this web page and was wondering :

Has anyone tried installing an SSD and then doing a network restore ?

Is it even possible with a conventional drive ?

I know every computer has BIOS. ;)

Anyway , just a thought I wanted to share while giving my mind a rest !! LOL

:D :) :D

Later , Happy Holidays !!

Gary 

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I don't see why not. By network restore, do you mean Internet Recovery? Where you re-install the OS via the Internet on a wiped drive? If so then it will definitely do that because that is firmware-dependent and not on what drive you install.

Also, enabling TRIM does not require coding knowledge, you just download an app like Trim Enabler and basically click the Enable button.

On a side note, I don't recommend getting the 8GB RAM model through Apple. If you want more RAM than the basic 4GB, it is always cheaper to get the base 4GB 15" and then buy 8GB or 16GB RAM on your own. You can get 16GB RAM for cheaper than the 8GB upgrade through Apple.

3. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I have a 2012 13" MBP. Install a crucial M4 (512GB) the day the MBP arrived in the mail. I used the network recovery mode and had zero issue doing so. The only thing was it was more time consuming downloading versus using a TM backup. The only reason I did the network recovery mode was strictly for learning purposes. It works like a champ...again, be prepared for it to take a few hours.

4. Jedi thread starter macrumors regular

Jedi

Hi ,

Thank you both for your input , as it is much appreciated :) .

Even though I have been a Mac user since 1999 , I`m still learning !!

Good point about the "ram" and also I have heard many different stories regarding the "Trim Enabler" software , some good some bad.

The M4 is still on my short list ( very short ;) ) of SSD`s.

I would not mind a "Retina " model , but I just want to have a very good MBP , and although it is tempting to get an rMBP , not sure if the risk is worth it.
    I have read that the retention or ghosting ( or whatever you want to call it ) can appear right out of the box or as long as 6 months down the road.

O__well , I always seem to write to long :eek: , of course that what I do !!

Anyway , thanks again for your help :D .

Later ,

Gary 

5. Jedi thread starter macrumors regular

Jedi

Sorry , it early !

Yes I mean Internet Recovery , where I would install a virgin SSD and use Mac`s BIOS to get to where I can rebuild my OS / and iLife.

I`m sure it would take awhile ( good thing I don`t have dial-up !! LOL ).

Even @ 18~20 mbps , I imagine it would take awhile.

Just don`t want to do all that only to find Apple`s trim code will not be there.

Can you verify that the Trim code is OS embedded and not BIOS embedded ?

O____ my brain :eek: , I think to much !! LOL :D

Later,

Gary 

6. Ccrew, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

Ccrew macrumors 68020

Apple systems do not have BIOS. They use EFI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

Apple uses EFI for its line of Intel-based Macs. Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger and Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard implement EFI v1.10 in 32-bit mode even on newer 64-bit CPUs, but full support arrived with Mac OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion

Trim is not part of the machine code, it's a hardware detect on OS install and is enabled if the strings returned from the SSD match what's expected by the code.

And Apples support PXE boot, so they'll boot and restore from a network image. That is as long as they see a server running PXE. Sounds like you're after Internet recovery though.

Expect Internet recovery to take up to 4 hours on a middling Internet connection.

Oh, and last I checked Trim Enabler was broken by the ML 10.8.2 update.

7. Jedi thread starter macrumors regular

Jedi

Thanks for the reply and info , big help ! :)

O__and thanks for the wiki link , I`ll be sure to check that out.

Take care , :D

Gary 