Network/Router advice please

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tbone17, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Tbone17 macrumors member

I've been reading some posts but have questions concerning the upgrade of my wireless network.

My current router will not allow streaming video over wireless without stopping to buffer and general web browsing is quite slow, sometimes very frustratingly slow.

I've currently got a PC laptop and desktop on the network but am planning to add a MBP to the mix in the next few months. The MBP will replace my desktop but the PC laptop will stay. The laptop is running on wireless g and the desktop has a usb n adapter.

I'd like to have the network setup beforehand so I can just enjoy the MBP without all the setup frustrations of a new network/OS all at once.

Of course the people at the apple store(and I'm sure many here) will recommend nothing but the airport extreme, and that's fine if it's truly the best fit for my needs. I don't want to buy just because of the brand.

I'd like a router that can accept an external hard drive connected to it and possibly a printer. For the printer I could plug my current printer/scanner into the router or look into a networking unit capable of wireless connection though I haven't checked the pricing of the latter. The main need for the external hd on the network would be for backups of time machine and pics from the pc.

I'm sure there's things I've missed/overlooked but I'd like some advice and opinions from people using these products. Price is a consideration of course but performance will outweigh it.

Thanks

2. brentsg macrumors 68030

It's pretty unlikely that your network is causing the slow web browsing, especially if you stream video ok.

3. Tbone17 thread starter macrumors member

I can't stream video, sorry if you misunderstood. Streaming video is painfully slow, too frustrating to try and watch.

To watch youtube I have to start it, pause it and wait a long time for it to download and play.