network settings

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aicul, Sep 28, 2010.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have encountered the following problem several times. I connect my mac to a wifi network. The login is ok and I can see the signal strength, however the internet does not work.

Strange thing my iphone is also connected to the network and internet works fine.

So I look at the preferences in both machines and note that the ip addresses are very different ie. 192.168.1.x and 169.172.1.x.

I then go to the mac and set a manual address (the ip, the dns, etc.) from the iphone and apply these settings. At this point the mac is ok to use the internet.

Why is it the iphone can automatically find the correct settings whilst the mac cannot?

Any ideas welcome ? :confused:

2. Bumflake macrumors member

If your Mac is set to get an IP address and DNS settings through DHCP, you my want to check your wireless router.
    Theres probably something like MAC security on there which prevents unknown computers to access your network. If so, just add your Mac's MAC address.
    Another thing that comes to mind is to check your DHCP settings on the wireless router.

Are you completely sure your iphone uses your home network btw?
    It may be connected through your provider.

Anyways if both your Mac and iphone are connected using DHCP and the login went ok, I'd check the router settings as there could be multiple things going wrong on there.
    GL! :)