Network Settings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by janellhenry, May 9, 2011.

1. janellhenry, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

janellhenry macrumors newbie

Hi. When i first set up my Mac Pro, i had help setting up the network configuration in the preference window. I recently had to reformat my hard drive however, and have lost the network settings I've used for so long without a problem. Now it takes forever to upload a file (a pdf, tiff ...) as an attachment in gmail or yahoo, on Firefox or Safari, or upload to an ftp site. I download fine, it's just uploading is sloooow. I called my internet provider (Charter) and they said my speeds were fine, 15.1 ...

So, I was wondering, can I retrieve the setting somewhere from the backup I did of my hard drive before I reformatted? Surely the old setting have to be stashed in there somewhere ... I just don't know where ... Thanks a Gazillion!

2. laurenr macrumors 6502a

If you had backed up your entire User Folder (~), including your Library, you would need the Preferences file called "com.apple.systempreferences.plist" found in:

~/Library/Preferences

This contains all the settings for your System Preferences.However, I am not quite sure this is the cause of your problems.

3. janellhenry thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right. It is not what is causing my problem. Uploading is still slow. Any suggestions?

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I suggest you go here to test your upload speed:
    http://www.speedtest.net

This will give you an indication of whether you are getting your advertised speed. If you were on a PC, I would guess the cause to be Mal/spyware, but seeing as you are on a Mac, I am not quite sure.
    Very often what works is to "recycle" your modem by powering it off, removing the electrical cord from the AC outlet for at least 60 seconds, then powering it back on. You would be surprised at the amount of issues this can resolve.