Network shared directory possible?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Oracle1729, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

I recently bought a mac mini server. Is it possible to set it up so that any of my other macs will see a shared directory on the mini from anywhere on the internet. It should be a secure connection (VPN?).

I set up file share in server, which works with macs on the same local network. I also didn't really see a difference compared to just using sharing without the server, so I don't think I'm on the right track.

Also, I ordered the computer last Thursday and received it Monday. It shipped with Mavericks, so if I update it to Yosemite, will i lose the server app unless I re-buy it?

Thanks

2. chrfr macrumors 603

A share from a file server is no different than a share when you're just using the built in file sharing. To access a shared folder on the internet, you need to forward the appropriate ports, which in the case of Apple file sharing, is port 548. You forward that in your router to the local IP address on your home network and then you will have remote access to that folder.
    If you're using Server.app and an Apple base station, you can automatically configure the port forwarding in the app.
    You do need Server 4.0 on Yosemite, but you should qualify for a free upgrade:
    https://www.apple.com/osx/server/up-to-date/