Network shares and services only visible when WIRED network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yalla-One, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Yalla-One macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a weird problem with my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.7.5) in that shared devices are only default available when I'm on the wired network. When I'm on the wireless network I can manually connect to an Apple server elsewhere, but it does not for instance show up automatically under "SHARED" on the left-hand side in Finder.

Just some background: The wired and wireless LANs are of course on the same subnet. The wired IP is 192.168.1.102 and the wireless is 192.168.1.101. The wireless goes into a Cisco wireless mesh at 150Mbit connected to the same Gigabit switch (on same vlan) as the gigabit port I connect wired to, which is the same switch (and vlan) as the OSX server is on. The wireless network is connected at 140M over 5Ghz so the connectivity is no issue. There are no other 5Ghz networks around. (my WLAN controller is set to detect, isolate and disconnect all "rouge" accesspoints on "my" channels)

Examples on how the problems appear:

My printer is connected to the OSX server which in turn shares it on the network. When I am wired, I can easily print. On wireless, that printer is unavailable. Trying to connect directly to the printer is same result.

My OSX server is running Time Machine server. When on wireless, my MacBook complains the TimeMachine is not available. On wired it is no problem.

I assume this problems boils down to me having set (or failed to set) some configuration parameter at some point in early MacBook history. I just cannot figure out what.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. Yalla-One thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

Turns out that Broadcast has to be enabled specifically for Bonjour and Apple devices on the Cisco 2504 Wireless controller. With that enabled, and to be sure also directed multicast set towards the OSX server, all services works perfectly. Not even a Mac problem..

-y1