network sharing between imac and macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ztark, Jun 9, 2007.

1. ztark macrumors member

I just received a new macbook to compliment my iMac as I start grad school this fall.

I have been trying to transfer/copy some of my files from the imac to my macbook with frustrating results. I tried to set up a network through the built in airport in each computer with mixed results (I managed to transfer one itunes song, then nothing). In my frustration I decided to go old school and burn a disc of some itunes tv shows, but the macbook won't even read the disc (it just ejects it after a minute or so).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

note: I mainly want to transfer about 1/2 of my itunes and iphoto libraries on the mac (approximately 2,500 songs and 2000 pictures). However I will likely be needing to transfer files between the computers often over the next few years and would like to get a system in place that is quick and effective.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A wireless network will be painfully slow. Maybe try connecting them via Firewire and using Target Disk Mode. You'll need to buy a Firewire cable. :)

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do you have an ethernet cable? ...Just plug the two computers into one another and use personal file sharing as usual.

Using this method, if both of your computers have gigabit ethernet, and you're using at least a Cat 5e ethernet cable, you should be able to obtain speeds of 1 Gbps.

4. ztark thread starter macrumors member