Network Sharing too much?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TJones, Feb 24, 2008.

1. TJones macrumors regular

I've noticed the other day when browsing my Macbook from my XP PC that I can now see more than what I specifically shared on my MB.

I used to only see 'Public' but now I see my User Home Directory, my 'Macintosh HD' and my Time Machine drive as well. I'm able to fully browse each and read/write and delete files.

This only thing that's changed is I installed a new external drive for my TM drive and turned off FileVault because it wouldn't allow TM to run with it on unless I was logged out.

Needless to say this is kind of freaking me out and so I disabled sharing (AFP & SMB) and only turn it back on temporarily when I need to move files around. I've confirmed that only my 'Public' folder is listed under System Preferences -> File Sharing and that only my account has Read & Write.

Anyone out there have an idea?

2. TJones thread starter macrumors regular

Nevermind :) Somewhere along my travels I disabled the guest account and when I tried to access my shares form an XP box I authenticated as an Admin and so my session was "saved" by Windows (only resettable by Net session \\xyz\whatever /del). So even when I did a Net use * /del I was still re-authenticating as a administrator even though I wasn't being prompted.