Network Sharing with Windows 7 for Newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robjulo, Apr 12, 2011.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

Brand new to Mac. I bought a new MacbookPro last night. I am trying to get my picture and music files from my HP laptop, which is a Windows 7 Home Premium.

Last night, I attempted to set up sharing. The Mac would not see the HP, but the HP did see the Mac and the sharing folder. From the HP, I was able to copy and paste my music files into the Mac public shared folder. Since it was going to take three hours, I decided to wait til morning to do the pictures.

This morning, when I first got on the Mac, the HP was now visible. I went to the PC to attempt the same copy and paste maneuvre I did the night before and was now told by the HP that I didn't have permission to access the Mac folder. I rebooted both machines and the HP disappeared off the finder screen on the Mac.

Can anyone walk me through how to succesfully link these two machines up and keep them linked up. It seems I'm almost there but it is flaky at best. I'm not sure what changed from last night til this morning where I now no longer have permission (I didn't change anything).

2. wpotere Guest

3. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, I will read that and try again tonight.

4. wpotere Guest

It is pretty straight forward. Just remember that the two machines don't know each other and will deny access until you give one the proper credentials to get in. The connection strings in the link above will do that for you and allow you Mac the same access that whatever account you use on the PC has. At that point you can conencted from find by clicking "Go" and "Connect to server".

5. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just found it odd that it worked for a short period of time last night, and then with nothing being changed, this morning it did not.