Network Sharing?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Daniel97, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

I have a 2007 Mac mini running lion which is connected to my home network via Ethernet.

I have an external HD plugged in to this which stores all my media.

I have just purchased a windows 8 laptop for business.

Does anybody know how I share this drive with my windows whilst plugged into my mac? And also what format I can use for the drive to ensure that if I do wish to unplug it I can also plug it into the windows?

I have tried file share but can't seem to get very far, probably more so on he windows side.

Google isn't helping me

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you want to be able to move the drive back and forth between Mac and Windows, use Disk Utility to format it to ExFAT. Then both systems can read write to the disk.

To share the drive from the Mac turn on file sharing then in shared folders section click the plus at the bottom and add the external drive to the list. Then give yourself read/write access to the drive in the next section to the right.

Now on the Windows side you should be able to see the Mac in the file Explorer and click through to the Mac external drive you want to add. You will be promoted for your Mac password when you do this. This might help you.

3. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Prompted for password and it always says it's incorrect?!

4. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay I'm in .. But it's showing nearly all the files on my mac not just the 3 folders I've told it too?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Make sure everything except the drive you want to share is removed from that shared folders section.

6. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is ...

And on my mac I now have a new folder on finder which says is a shared folder and unable to connect

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So the shared drive is working like you want on Windows, you just have other folders showing up you don't want to?

If nothing but that drive is in the shared folder section (remove everything else) that should be all that is shared.

8. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bigger problem.

My mac won't boot.

Stuck at he spinning wheel :(

Tried pram, smc and safe mode .. All with the externals unplugged and nothing :(

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is nothing you could have done in that file sharing pane that would cause it not to boot. You have got something else going on.

Can you command-r boot to recovery and check the disk with Disk Utility?

10. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Command r boot? - sorry I'm not hugely technical dumb it down a little for me ..

What is command r boot?

Recovery drive in lion?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes.... hold the command and r key down at the same time as you boot and that will get you to a recovery screen. From there start Disk Utility and select your drive then click repair disk and see what you get.

12. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did all that and no errors and drive seems fine. Repaired anyway and still wouldn't boot!

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

All I can think of at this point is go back to that recovery screen and reinstall the OS. It won't wipe your data, it will just install over top the existing installation.

14. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a