Network Sharing?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Daniel97, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

I have a Mac Mini in my cupboard set up as a HTPC.

Connected to it is my External HD which contains my iTunes Library, iPhoto Library and all my other media.

Can i share both these libraries with my Macbook Air?

I.e connect to my External HD from the Air and point itunes & iphoto to the same library the Mac Mini points too?

Any issues with 1 library accessible from 2 machines?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Login to the Mini and in the Sharing preference pane in System prefs turn on file sharing than add the externals to the shared list with you having access rights.

This will work, but can be dangerous if both users happen to actually have the same library open at the same time. As long as you make sure this does not happen, you will be okay.

3. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

All done except its listing more folders than i asked it too? Its also showing my Macs HD & user folder of the machine the networked drive is linked too?

I am the only ever user of either machines so ill know not to log into both :) - is that the only danger? that i open both?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that's really the only risk. You can go back to that shared pane and remove the disk and just add specific folders on the disk if you want restrict things a bit more.