Network so slow ONLY for OS X. Windows flys

Discussion in 'macOS' started by poppe, Jul 18, 2008.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Can someone please help me. It takes 2-3 minutes per webpage loading up, even google.com, on my 17" C2D MBP (2 gigs of ram). My girlfriends 15" Dell with basically the same inside runs spectacular on this network. My computer flies on my network, on my office network, but when I come to hers (the one that is running so slow) I have so much trouble doing anything. She has Time Warner running at 10 MBs (or what ever the correct thing is after the number). She has a Belking G Router that is now 2 years old. Her network has never worked good for me, but usually turning off everything including her router would fix it for a few moments...

What are your thoughts? Advice? Help?!

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I am trying to avoid this. I have an N router at home, a DLink and I enjoy it, but I really would like to avoid buying anything. Surely there is some setting that I have set up wrong with in the router or my computer? Why would IE run so much faster than my OS X-Safari.

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

OK! Let's see if this one works..

go in to Network Preferences, click on Airport. Click Advanced. On the TCP/IP tab, change Configure IPv6 to read Off. Click OK, click Apply.

See if problem is gone, and report back here.

5. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

No such luck... They are still just as slow... Any other thoughts? What's weird about my internet experience since I did this is that when I click on links or go to websites they go fast and snappy like they are about to display the website, but right before anything truly gets displayed there is a hold back and then it sits spinning for a minute or two before we get the full website.

EDIT: Craigslist seems to be running fast,well normal now, but IMDB or Yahoo still takes so long.

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

The next suggestion is to change your DNS server to 4.2.2.1

You can do that in Network Preference, click on Airport. Make the change, then Apply.

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

PERFECT! Everything is running smoothly. I used to have this in the settings, but I deleted it for some reason a good 6 months ago or so. I wonder why...

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

There is an incompatibility between OS X either with certain ISPs' DNS servers, or with certain home routers. There is a possibility it is related to IPv6, so that's why we tried that first.

Another person reported that downloading a nightly build of WebKit also fixes the problem, so Apple may have a correction coming for the problem in the future.

9. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

So weird... Well at least is working now.