Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bugze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
I am one week old on a Mac. I have been using windows based machines since the early 90’s. I have a networking question regarding OSX. On a windows based machine I can setup multiple user accounts to connect to different networks I use throughout the day. Each individual user had its own static IP address. Basically I need to acquire same IP address each and every time. I cannot seem to achieve this on my Macbook pro. I know I must be overlooking something rather trivial, but I cannot get this to work. So my question is can somebody point me in the right direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
TIA

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Where lies the problem?

To configure a static IP address you can go to System Preferences > Network > Ethernet (or Airport, etc.) > choose "Configure: Manually" and enter the information. At the top of that window you can configure different locations.

bugze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
I have given each network setup (location) a specific static IP address. The only problem is when I give “X” network its IP “Y” network changes to the same IP. If you are telling me I have to setup actual user accounts, what would be the best way to achieve this? Thank you for the help.

bugze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Thanks. I just setup different accounts and that looks like thats it. I was under the impression, you didn't have to use accounts for different locations on a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.