Network Static IP address Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bugze, Apr 24, 2008.

1. bugze macrumors newbie

I am one week old on a Mac. I have been using windows based machines since the early 90’s. I have a networking question regarding OSX. On a windows based machine I can setup multiple user accounts to connect to different networks I use throughout the day. Each individual user had its own static IP address. Basically I need to acquire same IP address each and every time. I cannot seem to achieve this on my Macbook pro. I know I must be overlooking something rather trivial, but I cannot get this to work. So my question is can somebody point me in the right direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    TIA

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

System Preferences>Network>Advanced Button. Set Manual DHCP. If you do this for each user you should have no problem.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Where lies the problem?

To configure a static IP address you can go to System Preferences > Network > Ethernet (or Airport, etc.) > choose "Configure: Manually" and enter the information. At the top of that window you can configure different locations.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Even better, you should be able to define different Locations with different Network setups, no need to change User.

5. bugze thread starter macrumors newbie

I have given each network setup (location) a specific static IP address. The only problem is when I give “X” network its IP “Y” network changes to the same IP. If you are telling me I have to setup actual user accounts, what would be the best way to achieve this? Thank you for the help.

6. bugze thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I just setup different accounts and that looks like thats it. I was under the impression, you didn't have to use accounts for different locations on a mac.