Network Storage Drive - multiple shares question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rdyornot, Jan 30, 2014.

1. rdyornot macrumors newbie

rdyornot

I recently bought a NAS drive to use for backups and to store/serve some media files. I created separate network shares for the backups, and for various file types (music is one share, video is another, ebooks another etc)

This seemed to make sense to me from an organizational point of view, but now I've started to wonder:

Does adding multiple shares like this slow down the device?
    Would I be better off just having one for backups and one for files or does this really make no difference?

Thanks for anyone who knows!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

May we ask what NAS and what version of OS X do you have? The answers will help us answer your question.

3. rdyornot thread starter macrumors newbie

rdyornot

Sure - sorry, I was just asking, in general, so I didn't think it was important - it's a WD myBook connected to 3 computers, 2 macs both running 10.9 and one pc with windows 8.1. The macs are using SMB to connect as the myBook wasn't handling AFP very well.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Over the years I have found if you have the network share mount at startup and that sure is not present will slow down startup.

The trick on OS X is I made a folder on the dock and drag mounted shares to that folder. So when I want to connect to that share I just click on that folder Dock and will connect to that share. Then I just dismount the share when I am done using that share.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I didn't know it would slow your system down. I usually get the error could not connect right off the bat if it can't connect.

I like the folder idea though. Pretty cleaver.