Network storage (NAS)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ssstevieb, Jan 22, 2009.

1. ssstevieb macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a RAID NAS for 3 main uses.

1) for backing up 2 laptops in the house
    2) for archiving old files (want RAID for this reason)
    3) for storing my iTunes library

I was thinking of this LaCie - 2big Network (2-disk RAID) - Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbits

but I am unsure if the iTunes library will work with it. I should be able to move all the files and re point iTunes to it? I'll still be able to sync my iPod and iPhone, correct?

And are there any better options?

2. pooky macrumors 6502

Can't comment on which brand you get, but I can tell you that iTunes will work fine (as long as your network is fast enough). You can always move your iTunes library, and an NAS device will show up like any other shared disk.

3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

1. When you say backup, what kind of backup do you want? To backup certain files, make a bootable backup, or something else. Since this is a NAS type question i assume you don't want bootable as you are not going to get bootable over the network, or at least not easily.

2. The archiving of old files is easy enough on just about any NAS trype device.

3. Storing an iTunes library on a server is easy enough. The only problem with doing that is when you take the laptop away from the network iTunes will not like it.

Depending on your level of expertise you could look into building your own NAS. I currently run one i built for about 300 before drives. It is running a cut down linux distro called unRaid, you can read up on there forums here and also on the wiki here. The name is "correct" it is not a true raid system, but it does protect our data via use of a parity drive. There is a very good support group on the forums and unRaid is becoming a very good product. If you have any interest in this sort of thing read up on it and ask some question on there forum or PM me.

4. ssstevieb thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really concerned about bootable backup, more connivence as multiple laptops will access this drive. Just a backup of our respective home folders.

Space is a concern, that's why I don't want to go with a tower type setup

It's looking like the lacie is the one I want to get

5. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

A couple of options I can suggest:

D-Link DNS-323:
    I have one of these currently. You can put in any two drives and set them up with RAID0 (I think!) which mirrors. Can be accessed by my macs and Apple TV which has been Boxee'd for streaming movies, etc.

HP Media-Smart EX-485/487:
    This is based on Windows Home Server and has just been refreshed with support for Macs and Time Machine Backup. Also comes with iTunes software and allows remote access to the server. I am going to get one of these when they hit the UK.

HTH

- D

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have a look on SmallNetBuilder, there's loads of tests of NAS devices on there to help you decide.