Network "Switching" Help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fbartram, May 17, 2010.

1. fbartram macrumors member

I use the term "switching" in that I have no idea myself, and I cannot be sure of the correct term if there is one.

My situation is: I am required to connect to two wireless networks; one at home, one at school. At school, however, in order to connect to the internet, I have to change my proxy settings (I know what these are - this is not the problem). My issue is that i also have to change them to connect to the internet at home.

My question: Is there a way I can setup fast switching between two sets of network settings? It was suggested to me by someone that it was possible to place a "switch" in my menu bar - but I have no idea.

Can you help?

2. belvdr macrumors 603

If you use Firefox, there's a proxy switch add-in that will work. If you want the entire machine to change settings, I think you might have to Google for an add-on or script to do this.

3. fbartram thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - I have googled, but if anyone knows specifically so I don't have to fumble around too much i would love it.

4. fbartram thread starter macrumors member

I have realised the simplicity to my answer. Thankyou very much anyway. I feel silly now for asking..

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

this is what Locations are for ;). one for home without a proxy and for a proxy. you can add and edit Locations in Network preferences and then choose a location from the Apple menu.

6. fbartram thread starter macrumors member

Haha, I get it now. :) I was wondering about locations, almost didnt bother touching them so as to not stuff it up. But now I am pretty sure I am all set to go.