Network throughput on iPhone 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrochester, Oct 13, 2015.

1. mrochester macrumors 65816

Hi all

I've got an iPhone 6S on the Three network in the UK. I've just run a few speedtests and in my current location I was getting 2-3mbps down and 2mbps up speeds. This is unusually low. I swapped the sim into my spare Android phone and all of a sudden I was getting 22mbps down and 4mbps up.

Does anyone know why the iPhone throughout would be so much slower than the Android phone?

Many thanks

M.

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

You're holding it wrong.

C

3. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Might sound stupid but you've enabled 4G and/or turned off WiFi right?

4. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry I should say the location has no WiFi and I'm entirely reliant on mobile data. There is no 4G in this location, only 3G. I noticed an issue because I use my iPhone to tether my laptop and tablet and it felt a bit slow and sluggish when browsing. Switching to the Android phone sped it up immeasurably.

5. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

OK, some things you could try:
    1. Settings / General / Reset Network Settings.
    2. Go to Settings / Mobile Data / Reset Settings.
    If they don't work, probably best to call Three or take both phones into a Three shop and demo the issue.

6. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll give all that a try. The funny thing is the iPhone was fine when I first got to this location on Monday, but by Tuesday evening the speed had deteriorated.

7. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

Well that went from bad to worse. After resetting network settings I could no longer get any data signal on the iPhone. Popped the sim back into the Android phone and I can get a data connection, but the speed and response is now very poor (682ms ping, 4.15 down and 0.11 up).

8. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Sounds like the quality of the Three signal in your location. I doubt there is anything wrong with your phones. I'd call Three and log a fault.

9. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

Well even after a full reset of the iPhone 6S and setting it up as a new phone, it still doesn't have a mobile data connection. No idea what the matter is with the iPhone but sounds like it needs to go back to Apple to be looked at. I'll have to wait until I get home on Friday.

10. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Are you sure its the phone? You said your Android phone was now playing up too. The only common denominator is the Three SIM.

11. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

I just tested the Android phone and it was back to 26mbps down and 4mbps up. No data at all on the 6S when I put the sim in it. I've checked my APN settings and they are correct.

12. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

OK, must be the phone. Hope the exchange works better for you