Network traffic causing freezes

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rgibbons, Aug 21, 2012.

1. rgibbons macrumors newbie

I have been reading several threads on freezing problems with 2007 Imacs and Snow Leopard. I have tried many suggestions, but none have resolved the problem. My constant freezing can be directly attributed to the amount of network downloading I am doing.

If I am downloading one file or Dropbox is syncing a file - everything is fine, but if I add another download at the same time, I guest instant freeze with the spinning wheel of death. It doesn't matter whether I am using wired or wireless.

On Tiger it works fine.

I can't seem to figure out why multiple downloads cause the freeze. Anyone have an suggestions?

2. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Network traffic is causing a certain application to freeze/beach ball or the entire computer does not respond? Does Activity Monitor indicate which app/process is the root cause of your problem? Weird, never heard of such a thing before.

3. rgibbons thread starter macrumors newbie

The entire computer does not respond.
    There are several errors shown in the crash log, but most I suspect are a result of the freeze rather than the cause. It has been hard for me to find a consistent error. Many of the errors I saw involved errors caused by missing files.

----------

Running the Apple hardware diagnostic does show a ethernet controller error, but I would think that wouldn't affect the airport wireless connection since the freeze happens both wireless and wired.