Network traffic !!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by turtletooth, Jan 24, 2008.

1. turtletooth macrumors newbie

Im having to switch from un-metered broadband (virgin UK) to metered (mobile 3G) broadband. Until now I had never even looked into how much data passes through my mac, Im not a heavy user, mail, surf forums, a podcast, but as I now have to think about a 3gb per month cap....

So I D/L'd 'Net Monitor' app (seems great), it shows that even when mail, safari and all other apps are shut, im still 'downloading' about 4 megs of stuff every quater of an hour.

Can anyone tell me what this activity is, and how to limit it - at this rate my 3 gig of bandwidth per month will be swallowed up just by my idle mac!

2. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Get Little Snitch, and it'll tell yo exactly what is being uploaded and downloaded, to where, and from what program.

3. turtletooth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks PJ. Id forgotten about Little Snitch.
    OK, I installed L.S. and it shows no activity, well not the constant xxkb/s that Net Monitor shows. Sure, if I browse etc it shows up, but shows nothing to account for the ambient dataflow.

What is causing this suck!!! :confused:

4. SawTooth500 macrumors member

5. turtletooth thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope... still running 10.4.11.
    Even when nothing is running (except Finder), there is this activity.

6. SawTooth500 macrumors member

The only activity I see is between my Mac and my router.:apple:

7. SawTooth500 macrumors member

Good luck with the 3g limit (satellite system?) I dropped one outfit because of that. My family uses more than that what with the e-mail, web browsing, forum surfing. Plus my son does that World of Warcraft thing, and that really puts it up there. Forget what the cap was, but we would shoot right past it, and they would cut our bandwidth, and I would complain. Tried it for two months and then went back to cablemodem.:rolleyes:

They expect you not do do any activity at all, then probably just on the weekends or at night or something.:apple:

8. turtletooth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, hadnt seen it, useful for this.

Im going to need luck. Im a 'lite' user (or so I thought). Had no idea just how much data I grab per day. If it was an option I'd still be on cable modem but Ive had to leave it because of a move :(

I still want to know what this ambient activity is... if anyone knows...

9. SawTooth500 macrumors member

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20884

Wish I'ld have seen that one back in August... not sure if it would have helped or not, other than having something I could double check against the stuff they were saying. Personally, I think they were a bunch of crooks.

What outfit are you going with, or do you even get a choice?

10. turtletooth thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont really have that much of a choice. Having to move into a new place temporarily, because of this Im not prepared to pay all the associated cable installation fees and 18 month contracts for a place ill be for 6 months.

So I decided that Ill get a Three UK Mobile Broadband package... 2.8mbps and 3gb (£15) or 7gb (£25) of bandwidth per month. Mainly just evening and weekend browsing. No idea what the reality of it will be like, still, they have a 3 day return policy if the service is awful.

11. fosterius macrumors newbie

constant network activity

I am also on a plan whereby I pay per MB here in Tanzania. I run SurplusMeter and Little Snitch and have locked things down pretty tight... however... Activity monitor and SurplusMeter still show constant traffic to the tune of 2-3 MB per hour and Little Snitch shows nothing.

The only software running is finder. I've made sure no widgets are online. In two hours I've logged 6mb in and 1mb out. That seems like a lot to me and I can't explain it away with random pinging or port scans. I'd at least like to know what the heck it is I'm paying for!