Network transfer speed is S...L...O...W...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Derwood, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Derwood macrumors regular

Hi all,

I've just recently bought the G4 in my sig. and wanted to use it as a file server. It's a stock G4 with 10/100 ethernet. I've got it hooked up to our wireless router (802.11g) via an ethernet cable. I attempted a trial file transfer the other day - 74mb of photo's - and I get a dialogue box appear that says it will take 3hrs to complete!?!?!? I thought I'd leave it for a while and see if the speed picked up. It didn't.

Does this sound wrong to anyone else? Or is that the transfer rate that I can expect without upgrading the ethernet card?

Any help much appreciated. Cheers, Derwood

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

I have this same problem at my house, but not at my parents house. i think it's the router. i have a d-link at my house, but a linksys at my parents. what router do you have?

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Did it actually take 3 hours? Sometimes, those estimations are horrible and nowhere near accurate.

4. Derwood thread starter macrumors regular

I've got a BT Homehub wireless router. I left it for over an hour thinking it would get faster and it didn't improve at all. I did a direct link between my two macs over ethernet and the transfer rate was phenomenally fast. I'm starting to think it's probably the router.

Anyone else have the same problem with BT Homehubs and networking?

Cheers, Derwood

5. smogsy macrumors 6502a

i use netgear DG834N i can trasnfer few Gigs of data in seconds defo router BT's router is known to be cack.

6. Derwood thread starter macrumors regular

new router once the pay-cheque arrives, I guess. Grumble, grumble, BT, grumble, grumble, rubbish...

7. smogsy macrumors 6502a

i suggest you get DG834N (only £80 now)

or netgears new one i think its WNT3500 (check site for model) its black peral colour thats upright

8. Derwood thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers Smogsy...

...I'll take a butchers at both of those routers. I have to say though that I am a bit cheesed off, and in a way am failing to understand why the BT Homehub should be so crap in this specific area.

My Airport speeds from the MacBook to the router to the internet are really good.

My ethernet speed from either the MacBook/G4 to the router to the internet are also really good.

Why should the speed from the wi-fi MacBook to the ethernet connected G4 be so slow? It almost seems like you would have to deliberately hamper that capability. Very odd.