Network two imac with Parallels 11 and El Cap

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by deany, Aug 3, 2016.

1. deany, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi

Help needed from networking experts!

We have an annoying intermittent wireless network connection problem with two iMacs (iMac 1 -'Master' and iMac 2 'Slave' running El Cap and Windows 7 in Parallels 11 pvm

Sometimes they connect in Parallels sometime not - its flakey.
    Password on both Windows 7 pvm are disabled in network settings (both imacs)

No password login on windows 7 pvm (both iMacs)

Have done this -

Start\Run or Command Prompt and enter "control userpasswords2" without explanation
    marks
    On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This
    Computer check box and then
    click OK.

Connection can be made on the mac side (usually).
    1st question how can the mac to mac side be permanent? - it seems to lose it with reboots
    Homegroup has been setup on iMac two with a shared folder "Steph's folder"

The error when double clicking on iMac 2 a shortcut to "Steph's folder" the shared older (this folder is located on Windows 7 pvm on iMac 1)

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 05.09.35.png

This is a screenshot on iMac2 in W7 pvm "Steph's folder" the folder we want to access in visible but on double click on the shortcut to "Steph's folder" the 2nd screenshot above appears - but we dont have a password setup on the W7 pvm!!

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 05.32.07.png

Both iMacs bought new 2015
    Both iMacs running up to date macOS and uptodate W7
    Both iMac have Norton 2.0 on W7 pvm
    Both running Parallels 11
    Time Capsule is our "modem" / connection devise

Any help appreciated as its a total mystery and very annoying

Thanks in advance

ps
    both imac are now "talking" with -
    on iMac 2
    Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 05.44.22.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 06.12.18.png
    on iMac 1
    Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 06.12.46.png

Attached Files:

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@deany Just for clarification, you are trying to get iMac 1 which runs El Cap and Windows to share a folder with iMac 2 that runs El Cap and Windows and for it to work across both operating systems on both iMacs?

3. deany thread starter macrumors 68030

deany

Hi
    Thanks for your reply. The Shared folder in located on iMac 1 and I want a permanent trouble free way to connect from iMac two
    it is working at the moment but it seems to "break" with this window coming up-
    Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 05.09.35.png
    neither machines have a Windows 7 password enabled

Thanks

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I believe that this is due to the virtual machine attempting to access and file share through OS X. I would look at configuring Parallels to set Windows as its own network adapter. I know by default, VMWare puts the VM behind the OS X NAT through an Internet Sharing-style network passthrough. In VMWare, I can then set it to use the VM as an independent network adapter where it gets its own IP from the router and all. I am sure Parallels has some sort of similar functionality.

If you need a hand knocking all of this out, I could probably give you some help using TeamViewer.

5. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This is exactly what I was describing! Thank you for posting the knowledge base article!