Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alk-3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
Hey Everyone. I hope this is the right place for this question.
I have been having some serious network usage issues lately, i am on Rogers Cable, and am consistently hitting or exceeding my cap.
i have attached a screenshot of my usage history, and as you can see things are getting out of control quickly.

- None of my regular usage habits gave changed.
- I watch netflix on my apple tv's but only an hour or two each day at the very most.
- I have a VOIP phone line
- I have two mac's, 3 iPads, 2 apple tv's, 2 iPhones and a wireless printed connected to my network.
- I have my ISP's modem/router set for bridged mode and have a time capsule attached to it with an cable. all of my wireless devices connect to the time capsule.
- I have iTunes match, but rarely listen to music at home over my devices.
- I do not back up over the internet, just within my network.
- I have reset my password on my network, and checked that I know each connected device listed in Airport Utility.

Is it possible that my Time Machine backups are being routed through the internet then back in again and onto my time capsule?

Any help on this would be very much appreciated, as I've had to up my internet package considerably, almost doubling its monthly cost to try to avoid overage charges.

The screenshot below does NOT include my current monthly usage, which at the moment stands at 418GB and climbing.

ScreenShot2014-12-28at10206PM_zps741dcc90.png

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The Time Capsule does not route Time Machine data or anything like that out to the Internet. It will all stay on the internal network. Have you had guests or some one is torrenting in the house? Torrents use a lot of bandwidth depending on the files and can be the source of your issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.