Network USB Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jwpoore, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jwpoore macrumors member

My parents are wanting to buy a new apple notebook and use continue to use their Office Jet 6100. However it is a USB printer and they want to put it on the network so they can print wirelessly from downstairs. They have a Netgear wireless router. What is the easiest and most cost effective way to do this.

Thanks for the help.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

The cheapest solution would be to leave it connected to a networked computer and enable print sharing. You'll have to have that computer on all of the time, but it's doable.

If you don't want to connect it to a computer and share it that way, you can always get a USB print server. Edimax makes great print servers for a decent price. Just keep in mind that the wireless print servers are going to cost you more. Also, if you have a multifunction printer (scanning/copying) and want to keep using those features, you'll need to get a multifunction USB print server which will also cost you more.

I have a wired USB multifunction print server connected to my USB multifunction printer (Epson RX595) and it works like a charm.

Edit: Another option would be to get a router that has a print server built in. Apple's AirPort line has such a thing, but it only supports printing and not faxing/scanning, etc.

3. jwpoore thread starter macrumors member

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes. Of course the print server would need to be connected to the router with an ethernet cable, but yes the printer will be available to any computers connected to your router, wired or wireless. You'll probably have to install the program that comes with the print server to allow your computer to use the printer, which is a pretty straight forward process. Again, if your printer has scanning functions, you won't be able to use the scanner with that particular model you've linked. You would need a multifunction print server, but it will work in the same manner.

5. jwpoore thread starter macrumors member

And which model would allow me to use the scanning function? I think they might just buy their mac with a printer and claim the rebate. Thank you for you help anyway!

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

That would be your best solution. I bought a model similar to this one:
    http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=51&pl1_id=7&pl2_id=33
    The price I paid for mine was around $100, so for that price it might just be easier to spend a bit more and get a WiFi printer instead. And if they can get a rebate on it that would be even better yet. It's considerably less hassle that way.