Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justin071894

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
I'm trying to setup about 9-10 iMacs all running OS X Mountain Lion to an iMac running OS X ML Server. The server is named "pubserver.local" with an IP address of 10.18.7.245. I have some of the client machines connecting "pubserver.local" and others to the IP address for network authentication.

I seem to be running into problems somewhere, because when I can login from the server, however when trying to login from a client machine, I receive an error saying " You are unable to login to the user account "jadkins" at this time. Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred."

I have the network folders stored on the server's hard drive and it should mount them on login. There shared via APN.

Any ideas? Should i just reinstall ML and then install OS X Server again?

JonyHolt

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Fresno, CA
Typically this is a permissions issue. However if you open the console log on the machine (after attempting to login multiple times login to the administrator local account and open the console app.) There it should read exactly what the reason for is.

modernlifeiswar

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
This is a problem related to DNS, which is crucial to Open Directory and network accounts.

As root:

Code:
bash-3.2# changeip -checkhostname

Does it say:

Code:
Primary address     = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Current HostName    = XXX.XXX.XXX
DNS HostName        = XXX.XXX.XXX

The names match. There is nothing to change.
dirserv:success = "success"

?

justin071894

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
This is a problem related to DNS, which is crucial to Open Directory and network accounts.

As root:

Code:
bash-3.2# changeip -checkhostname

Does it say:

Code:
Primary address     = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Current HostName    = XXX.XXX.XXX
DNS HostName        = XXX.XXX.XXX

The names match. There is nothing to change.

?

Code:
Primary address     = 10.18.7.245

Current HostName    = pubserver.local

The DNS hostname is not available, please repair DNS and re-run this tool.

How do i repair the DNS?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I get those errors at work as well. The IT guy in charge of servers & accounts says it's a Kerberos issue. Wish I could be more help, but I don't have access to that kind of stuff (above my pay grade).

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Change hostname...

Hi,

It appears that your DNS server is messed up...you will need to straighten it out first before proceeding. If you think that your DNS server is setup correctly, then try stopping/restarting it.

I had this same problem many blue moons ago (under Leopard Server, actually - I now use ML OS X Server), and I found that if I changed the hostname and IP that this somehow forced a reset of the caches thereby resetting the DNS. To do this, you might try:

...stop your DNS server...
sudo changeip -checkhostname
--> returns the error you listed saying that the DNS hostname is unknown
sudo changeip 10.18.7.245 10.18.7.246 pubserver.local pubserver.private
host 10.18.7.246
host pubserver.private
sudo scutil --set HostName pubserver.private
...and now make sure that the DNS server is setup properly for the new hostname/IP address, then restart the DNS server...

You can then reset the hostname/IP address back to the original ones, if you wish.

DNS must be setup and operating properly before you can get Open Directory to work. Personally, I would try OD first without Kerberizing it initially. Once you get OD working so that it allows your network logins, then you can go back and Kerberize it.

Good luck,
Switon

RyanelRichie

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
I'm having this issue but only with 4 users out of about 50. They can log in on their computer but no one else's. While the rest can log into any computer. Could the DNS server only affect a small group while the rest are fine to log in?

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
I'm trying to setup about 9-10 iMacs all running OS X Mountain Lion to an iMac running OS X ML Server. The server is named "pubserver.local" with an IP address of 10.18.7.245. I have some of the client machines connecting "pubserver.local" and others to the IP address for network authentication.

I seem to be running into problems somewhere, because when I can login from the server, however when trying to login from a client machine, I receive an error saying " You are unable to login to the user account "jadkins" at this time. Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred."

I have the network folders stored on the server's hard drive and it should mount them on login. There shared via APN.

Any ideas? Should i just reinstall ML and then install OS X Server again?

Certainly that DNS will be an issue.

But also, make sure you have given users service access for 'File Sharing' in the Server App. Its under Users/Groups as the option to 'Edit Access to Services' within the cog wheel.

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
OS X Server has always been a PITA about DNS. Honestly, if the server doesn't need to connect to the internet for services, I'd just give it a fake FQDN and edit the host file so it resolves itself. I've had nothing but issues with services in the past when the server's name was anything.local.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.