Network Volumes Don't Maintain Folder Views

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brbubba, May 11, 2007.

1. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

I have two shortcuts to a network drive being run from a win XP box. I've never had any problems connecting, however the folder view information never sticks. So for instance on my macbook I open a folder and select list view, when I close that folder and come back it will maintain that view. The network drives are a different story, I want them in list view but they always revert to folder view when I reconnect to them. How do I solve this guys? Thanks!

2. kostia macrumors regular

I used to have this same inconvenience when I was using a Mac on a Windows 2000 Server-based network.

The folder view options are stored in a file called .DS_Store in each folder. They're invisible to you (as are all files and folders starting with a period), but show up to PC users looking at those network folders. I've seen scripts and programs that remove them, calling them clutter, and it's possible such a program is being run on your network drives.

This Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DS_Store talks about the issue.

The support item on apple.com http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301711 explains how to turn OFF the creation of .DS_Store files on network drives. If you change "true" to "false" in the Terminal prefs command it's telling you to do, you should turn ON the creation of these files. It's harmless to change this preference in this way, so that's the first thing I'd try.

3. brbubba thread starter macrumors 6502

brbubba

Ah ha ha, so thats what those are. Yeah the script removing all those files on the PC side is ME! ha ha. I thought they were some junk remnant I didn't need so I kept deleting them when I would do file management on the PC side.

Thanks for the great info!!!