Network War

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Jan 19, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Lately there have been postings that Verizon has the better network in terms of reliability.

I believe Att invested 2 billion to improve their network? That's alot of bucks.

Ok is the 'Verizon has a more reliable network' just hype? Cause it's hard to believe that a juggernaut like Att has s sub par network.

As a cellular user I prefer reliability over speed. I chose Att YEARS ago because of reliability in my region; Philly.

What factors makes Verizon more reliable than Att? Or what factors makes Att more reliable than Verizon?

If Att isn't as reliable why? Or is it just hype?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Do you drop calls a lot?

Yes, you have a problem.
    No, you don't have a problem.

It really doesn't matter what anyone else here tells you. Do you like your service? Is it reliable? Fast? Works when you need it to? We can't answer those questions.

3. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm happy with Att. Just a discussion.

4. 184550 Guest

As Small White Car pointed out, it all depends on which provider provides the best service in the area you live in/ frequent the most/ etc...

I'm usually traveling between NC and DC and it so happens that ATT provides the best service for my needs and location.

5. shadrap macrumors 6502

I'm in NC and regularly travel FL to NY and Verizon is by far superior. AT&T only has 3G in metro areas. But Verizon has 3G nearly everywhere.

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

AT&T realizes that Major/Metor areas are only what really matters, tell me anything great to come from the sticks? nothing, maybe peanut butter and the cotton gin, thats it.

7. shadrap macrumors 6502

The problem is driving through, the sticks, and constantly switching between 3G, Edge, or no service. This equals constant dropped calls.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

All carrier have their strong and weak areas, no carrier is perfect, you just pick the one that works best for you at a price your comftorable with. The reason AT&T gets such a bad rep is that people that live in bad AT&T areas stick with at&t because of the iPhone then continue to complain about service, where as if some one signed up for verizon then saw service wasn't good in their area and dropped calls, they would then cancel the account and sign up with another service provider, and thus are not constantly complaining about subpar service.

9. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

AT&T is not great ( for me personally but it gets the job done)i get coverage in many places, but not as many as Verizon. i sometimes have coverage in places that Verizon doesn't like school (yay!). At&t i think has the fastest 3g 3.75G, and now is using its current HSPA network with other components to make it "4G" (same with T-mobile). but now Verizon is getting LTE 4G witch is way better (but it wont be substantial coverage till next year). AT&T will probably get it next year too. so in the end it really depend on coverage with balance of timing of 4g and the current speed of 3G. so u should personally weigh your particular pros and cons.

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Wasn't being serious bro! Just having a poke!

11. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

If Verizon is more reliable is it because they spend more money on making it better? Or is it that Att is gsm?

12. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Being that both Verizon and Att will have LTE 4g will that level the playing field on who is more reliable? Will Verizon LTE be different than Att's?

13. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

Honestly the real reason everyone hates on att is because any douchebag blogger or tech personality that lives in sf or ny with voice made a big deal about having bad service. That's why everyone thinks att sucks wait till verizon screws something up and those dummies will be all over it.

14. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Well there seems to be reliability issues and for some reason Att gets the brunt of the publicity. However I'm positive that Verizon has issues.

With both having LTE do you think it will level the playing field as both carriers will have equal networks?

15. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

I think that AT&T's reluctance to upgrade their entire network (or nearly so, as Verizon did) to 3G makes it unlikely that AT&T will build out LTE as well and as thoroughly. We will see.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're happy with ATT, stick with them, if not, move on.

There are positives and negatives with either carrier. You pick the carrier that has the best coverage for your area, and offers you the best options.

17. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Att spent $2billion in 2010, not chump change.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

JD Power, Consumer Reports, and other customer surveys all consistently rank AT&T well below Verizon in city by city results.

No other metrics really matter outside of actual customer experience.

Note that CR recommends you wait for the next iPhone release expected this summer.

19. landscapeman macrumors regular

In my area ATT is horrible. Wish they were, but Verizon has service just about everywhere. Hell I wish T-mobile had better service, Great prices on their plans.

20. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Why would you choose a carrier with horrible service in your area?