Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
does anyone suggest a Networkable external hardrive for macs?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
LaCie makes a line, as do Maxtor, Buffalo, Granite, Tritton and others.

The biggest issue by far for Mac-only shops is that they usually require a PC in order to set up and to do major maintenance like upgrading the drive's firmware.
Even though they advertise "Compatible with Mac OS X" that means that they are file read and write compatible, NOT that all possible functions can be done from a Mac.

A secondary issue common to every storage system that uses smb:// is that there are restrictions to the filenaming conventions, and restrictions to the max. size of files.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
CanadaRAM is right. I have a SimpleShare one that claims to be Mac-compatible, but it has a 2GB filesize limit on it. I've never had a problem with that, as it was mainly used to share MP3's, though, and short videos.

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
I use a buffalo linkstation.

Setup using a web-browser from any computer. Only had 1 slight problem with a really long filename but I use it frequentlyfrom my mac Mini and Windows machines.

You can choose between 'Mac only' 'Windows only' or 'Man and Windows' when creating shares.

There is also custom firmware and setups available on the web - the linkstation runs a version of linux

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
Oh, never had a file size limitation so far - I did have a large video on (converted from VHS) that played ok - I'll test more tomorrow

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Jowl said:
I use a buffalo linkstation.

Setup using a web-browser from any computer. Only had 1 slight problem with a really long filename but I use it frequentlyfrom my mac Mini and Windows machines.

You can choose between 'Mac only' 'Windows only' or 'Man and Windows' when creating shares.

There is also custom firmware and setups available on the web - the linkstation runs a version of linux
Yeah the SHARING isn't the problem, its the initial setup if you have to discover the device's IP address (like if the dim bulbs at Buffalo left it turned on DHCP rather than the initial address in the manual...) or if you ever have to upgrade firmware, you're up a creek in a Mac-only environment.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'd build an elcheapo pc and fill it with 15K SCSI drives from ebay.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Hector said:
i'd build an elcheapo pc and fill it with 15K SCSI drives from ebay.

.. and keep it in the garage (noisy?)

I think some of the network drives have a file size limitation because they use FAT32. I believe the Buffalo's work with Linux and EXT3, so there's not file size issue (perhaps some illegal file name characters though?)

I was considering the Buffalo Giga-Linkstation, especially as you can hack it to run Slimserver as well. For the money though, I may just look around for an old tower (G4 or PC) and build a storage/media hub using that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.