Networked iTunes Library question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DrFinkle, Jun 18, 2007.

1. DrFinkle macrumors newbie

My wife and I share a common iTunes library which resides on a 500gb external hard drive connected to our home network and accessed on my MBP. Currently we have it set up so we can each access the library and the share playlists, etc using the typical Shared Folder method and aliases.

She will be getting an iMac and we would like to continue to use the same system of sharing the library and playlists (similar music tastes).

My question is: Can I set the original folder for the iTunes xml files, etc to be on the same networked external drive and create an alias from this 'externalized' folder to be used in our respective iTunes accounts (I don't access iTunes when I take my computer to work).

Thanks,

DrFinkle

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So long as they're named properly (remove the alias tag), that should be fine. Having said that, I haven't tried it myself. :eek:

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

upon starting itunes, hold down option. this will allow you to choose your library. i spose you should also grab the xml file aswell, so that you can keep playcounts and whatnot.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow i didnt kno u could quote urself... i just tried that then, it keeps everything so it would take it all from the xml files. its really that simple. :D

enjoy!