Networked iTunes Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacFan25863, Sep 29, 2007.

1. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Hey there,

I'm looking at a way to have all the computers on my network be able to share an iTunes library. On my network currently, I have 2 iMacs, a Powerbook, an iBook, a Mac Mini, and an AppleTV. I want to be able to have all my music stored on an external hard drive either connected directly to the network or to one of the iMacs, and then have every computer in the house have access to that library. I also want to be able to download a song on, say, the Mac Mini, and have it automatically added to the central library so that it is accessible to all computers, and to be able to sync iPods on any computer (hence why I can't just use the iTunes Sharing feature).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

Well, I have a wireless network set up and when both computers are on, I can access the other's iTunes library through iTunes. I think you have to enable this feature in preferences.

3. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Thats iTunes Sharing...I want to be able to have all my computers share one library, not just be able to access them.

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I do this by having my comp at work with a static IP have the library on an external drive. I just connect to its IP address from home or anywhere, load the networked drive, and then (the first time) hold the option key when starting iTunes. Select the library to use as the one on the networked drive. I have to remember to quit itunes when I leave work if I want write permissions from the second computer at home.

5. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

If someone were to use iTunes at home while you were using your work one what happens?

6. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I can't save changes to the library from home if my computer at work is still accessing it, but I can read fine.

edit:, sorry yur question was the other way around. I think whatever computer first accesses the library has control

edit 2: I also use this setup with iPhoto. Same read/write problems from the second-accessing computer.

edit 3:, if I forget and leave iPhoto and itunes on at work, I use chicken of the VNC (remote desktop freeware app) from home to control the work system and quit out

7. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

hmm..thats my only worry. If someone were to download a song upstairs while someone was using the computer downstairs it would be bad

8. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I get around this problem by having a second user account with its own itunes library hooked to the store. If I really need something, I fast-user-switch, get the song, listen to it or whatever, then transfer the files back to my desktop at work..In the morning at work, I see the new files on my desktop and dump them into the master library.