Networked mac mini not appearing on XP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aussieiphone, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Aussieiphone macrumors regular

G'day guys

I can see and use/edit files from my XP pc on my mac, but I can't see the mac on the XP.

I went into the mac's sys pref. and sharing folder where I seleced files folder I wanted to share and then afp and smb under options.

Also on the XP searched network places but it doesn't show.

Are there settings in the window's firewall perhaps?

Just can't figure it out for the life of me...anyone who's done the same or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Go to sys preferences, Sharing, Firewall, "Advanced" and see if "Block UDP communications" is checked. If so, uncheck that.

On the same window you should be able to view the firewall log which would likely show the IP of your XP machine being denied UDP connections. I did that and now I can connect to the mac from XP, and XP shows up freely in my Finder's "Network" section. Before that I had to manually click "Go", "server" and actually type in the IP before it could connect.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Go To: System Preferences > Network > Connection Type > Advanced > WINS

Netbios Name: Give your computer a name if you do not like the auto name
    Workgroup: Use the same workgroup of your XP computer the default is likely MSHOME but it could be WORKGROUP.

Click OK the Apply this should make you visible. Though you may need to reboot the computers and router. If this does not work go back to WINS and make sure everything is still filled. If not you will need to make a new Location in Network.

If it remains filled but does not work you will need to find your workgroup name in XP. Go to Start Button > Control Panels > System (you may need to switch to classic view to see this) > Computer Name. You will then see an entry listing your workgroup name. You can also change the name to something else here.

4. Aussieiphone thread starter macrumors regular

Thankyou both for your replies.

The WINS worked - in so far as I can now see the mac on the XP, however there appears to be a problem with permissions. I allow e.g. file sharing for e.g. documents on the mac (read) and can see the XP user on the mac but in the XP only a folder names Drop box appears.

In Finder I can see Shared Folders and all are list. Is there a permissions tab I'm missing? on XP perhaps?

Cheers

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

In sharing on the Mac is the shared folder set for Read/Write for Everyone? Highlight the shared folder in the Sharing preference pane of System Preferences to check.

If you do not want the shared folder available for everyone. For Windows XP Home you must create a user account on the Mac with a user name and password that matches the XP boxes user name and password you are logging in with exactly. There must be a password. That user will have access to any folders it is authorized for in the shared items. I believe it will also have access to it's home folder and if an administrator all drives attached.

If you are running XP Pro you can manage you network credentials. For more information see, "How To Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer That Is Not in a Domain in Windows XP". Note the log on name and password must match a user account on the Mac authorized for the shared folder. Said user name must have a password.

6. Aussieiphone thread starter macrumors regular

Thankyou

All good now!

Just one last thing if I may - I used the password option, but I was wondering if I chose Everyone is that everyone in my LAN (connected either wired or wirelessly thru my wifi/router) or the world at large(internet)?

Thanks again for your help.:D

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Everyone means any device connected to your network has access to those files in that shared folder. Your routers firewall should protect you from most anyone outside your network. Though if you do not have your wireless network encrypted anyone near your house could connect and access those files.

True there are people that know enough and are determined enough to break into your network. But for someone like that your shared user configuration is just a deterrent not absolute protection.