Networked PC Cannot write to Boot Camp when it's inactive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pommephone, Jan 18, 2014.

1. pommephone macrumors member

pommephone

No problem reading and writing to my Boot Camp Partition from networked PC when it's active (when Boot Camp Windows 8.1 is running). When Windows on Boot Camp is shut down, I can access and read all files and folders on Boot Camp partition, but cannot write. For instance, if I try to paste a file, I get a Windows notice that the drive is read only.

Wondering if there's a way around this? For instance, on my dual boot (Windows 8.1 and Windows 7) PC I can read and write to the inactive OS from the active one.

This is not a permissions problem,since I can read and write from network PC just fine- as long as Boot Camp Windows 8.1 is running.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

That is expected behavior. The Mac OS by default can't write to NTFS volumes, so a networked PC won't be able to either. You can get around this by installing a 3rd party utility that will allow read/write on NTFS volumes on your Mac.

3. pommephone thread starter macrumors member

pommephone

Why is this the case only when Windows/Boot Camp is inactive? No problem reading/writing to the partition from a network pc when Windows/Boot Camp is running.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Because when it's running Windows, it's not running Mac OS, and of course the boot drive is read/writable by Windows.

5. pommephone thread starter macrumors member

pommephone

I know- I'm slow, but I still don't entirely get why a networked Windows PC can't write to the NTFS Boot Camp Partition. How does OS X come into play?