Networked Storage- Time Capsule as a Multimedia NAS?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by duncyboy, Apr 13, 2008.

1. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

OK, I'll try and keep this as simple as possible... mainly for my sakes.

I have an iMac and a Windows HTPC which will one day be replaced by a Mac Mini as a standard-definition DVD player and HTPC connected to surround sound kit, LCD TV etc.

I'm getting fed up of updating my iTunes library on my iMac only to then try and remember which tunes are on my HTPC and aren't- same for videos and photos. Also, it seems a massive waste having hi-res iPod clips, courtesy of HandBrake, on my iMac and then have the same movies/videos duplicated on my HTPC in another format.

SO:

My computers are networked by a non-WiFi Netgear Router (DG834 v2) and I'd like to add a Multimedia NAS to centrally store all my music, pictures and videos. Is a Time Capsule overkill for this, especially when you consider I won't be using WiFi? I'm happier with wired connections for speed, convenience, security etc and also the computer's are all in the same room to start with. Could I use a Time Capsule for Time Machine and multimedia storage so I can always access my stuff at my iMac and with my HTPC?

Is there a cheaper alternative than a Time Capsule? I know you can get Ethernet capable external HDD's but many seem to be expensive and have mixed reviews. Not a lot cheaper than the 500GB Time Capsule.

As a side note my iMac's drive is 250GB and my current HTPC is 250GB so the 500GB TC would be ample for my needs.

What would people advise as a good solution for my needs?

Sorry for the lengthy post, hope it's not too long.

Cheers
    :)

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Since you won't be using the wifi feature, then I think Time Capsule is overkill for your situation. You could likely add any compatible NAS drive to your router to meet your needs. Here is a link to a product that you may want to consider. And a UK store link (sorry I'm in USA so no idea what are good UK retailers). Good luck, hope this helped. :)

3. duncyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Many thanks for your reply- having done a little research since I originally posted then the Time Capsule/Airport Extreme do seem overkill for what I want.

I've found links and reviews for devices by LaCie and Western Digital similar to the above but will find reviews for that now- will shop around for the best UK "e-tailer" while I'm at it. A 500GB Ethernet drive does seem to cover all my bases, time for a little more research.

Thanks very much for your reply and advice- always appreciated :)