networking 101 plus -- need verification of facts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maclookout, Apr 4, 2008.

1. maclookout macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie to macs of last fall and you all have helped me troubleshoot a few things while I was lurking over the last few months -- thank you all for that. My predicament? My previous computer was bought in 2001 so this new computer had a few things that weren't available on my new computer. So I started looking at the wireless option. First it seemed I had to upgrade from dialup. I'm still looking into that. I know I want the wireless n, and WPA or WPA2 security. But there are a couple of things I've inferred from my readings and would really appreciate confirmations/negations or explanations....

1, My potential dsl provider seems to provide a router. So maybe I don't have to decide between the tc or aebs right now. But is there anything I should look out for when they provide the router? If I get the tc/aebs how does that affect the speed interacting with the provided router?

2, The security articles tend to focus on people stealing your internet connection. But how do you keep them out of your computer? Is it that you'll be prompted to establish the connection? Or is that part of what WPA/WPA2 does.

3, From reading the threads on this site, it seems that wireless slows the connection. So if I'm being finally making the move from dialup to dsl, am I going to speed up my connection just to stall it out by going wireless?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

1. A router provided by your DSL company should be fine. It may not be as fancy as some higher end ones, but as long as it does WPA2 security, and it doesn't cost you anything, I would take it.

2. If you use good wireless security (WPA2) and no one can get on your network, they won't be able to get to your computer. You have to be on the network to access any computers on the network, and if you use WPA2 with a good password that can't be easily guessed, no one's getting on the network.

3. Wireless is typically slower than an ethernet connection (54mbps for 802.11g vs 100mbps for ethernet). However, your DSL connection's maximum speed is going to be a lot slower than your wireless connection, maybe around 6-10mbps at the max, so it's not a problem. Put it this way....lets say you're in traffic on the highway. Dial-up is like traffic moving along at 5 miles an hour. DSL is traffic moving along at 20 miles an hour. Now, it doesn't matter if the speed limit of the highway is 55, 75, or if it's an autobahn and there isn't one. You're still only going to go 20mph.

3. mstens macrumors member

This is true with a full, un-interfered signal. Start adding any interference, weak signal etc and speed will diminish dramatically. For instance, I have started a download on a weak wireless signal and had it pull 8kbps, move to a wired connection and have it pull 150kbps.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

True, that is possible, but not likely. If he's not going to be that far away from the router, he'll probably be fine, assuming his walls aren't made out of steel and cinderblock or something

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

6. maclookout thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks much for the info all, very helpful. I especially the description of network speeds.

I'm only getting it third hand so far, but there will be a charge for the modem whether I use it or not. The joys of small town low-competition markets I guess.

I'm definitely looking forward to faster network speeds!