Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

selfemployed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2003
Texas
Would someone tell me the fastest application to network my G4 (10.03) to Windows XP Professional PIII700. I am thinking Firewire but since I have never used this feature I am not sure. I already own a hub so I could go that route but I had someone say the firewire would be faster and easier. The PC does not have firewire so I will have to buy an adaptor. Also, can any of you speak to your experiences with the Isight. It sounds like a great piece of equipment as long as the other party has one but what are the options when the other party is PC? Thanks for any help.

Tim Flynn

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Alberta
Plug Mac into ethernet hub (or switch), plug PC into hub. Goto the finder, network, pick workgroup (I think, not at my Panther machine) find the XP machine, login...
very simple.
You may even be able to directly connect the Mac and PC with or without a crossover cable.

Jaguar will also connect to the PC easily as well.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
My friends an I had a LAN party a while ago, and we tried something similar to that, minus the loggin in, cause I don't think thats neccessary for palying games (but I guess that could have been our problem). It didn't work. All my friends have windows machines and I have a mac. We used to LAN all the time, with no problems. But then I got my new G4, which came with airport. So we set up with my new computer, and it didn't work. Most of the time, everyone at least got internet access, our computers wouldnt recognize eachother to play LAN games, and the windows machines could file share. It was really dissapointing, since this was the first time we had 4 instead of three people, and I finally had the best computer :D I was just wondering if anyone knew what we did wrong.

esternullo

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2003
Detroit
i use a wireless router to link 2 macs and 3 peecee's, and the network works just fine...

havn't tried to play games on it though, just internet access, file and print sharing...

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
How'd you do it? I would like to compare. Also, I noticed you just said wireless, not Airport, might that matter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.