Networking a Macbook Pro and a Pc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by okizen, Mar 23, 2012.

1. okizen macrumors member

Is it possible to network, via wire, a macbook pc so that they can 'talk' to each other?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What are you trying to accomplish? Sharing files? Sharing desktops? Do you have a wireless network? If so, that would be easiest.

3. okizen thread starter macrumors member

I do have a wireless network and for example, I want to do my 3d layouts and scenes on the MBP and then do the heavy rendering on the pc.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many ways to accomplish that. You can enable file sharing and access the files of one computer from the other, and vice versa. You could also use Dropbox for file sharing over the internet. If you want to share screens, I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. It's also free for personal use. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

5. okizen thread starter macrumors member

Thanx a lot.:) I'll checkout those programs.:)

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Absolutely. Many people run networks with both types of systems.