Networking a partitioned hdd through airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yellowsub821, Feb 2, 2011.

1. yellowsub821 macrumors newbie

I bought a 2 TB Seagate GoFlex hard drive earlier and wanted to partition it into several disks. One for time machine, one to use as a slave and extend my internal hdd, and a third to use as a media server of sorts in the house between the Mac and other Windows based computers.

When I plug it into the Mac directly after the partition, the separate drives appear fine. However only two of the drives appear when I plug it into the Airport Extreme and locate it over the network.

I've tried partitioning it differently (Mac OS Extended, ExFAT, NTFS, etc) and no matter what, I can only get the first two disks to appear. I tried doing a search, but all of the problems seemed similar to this but I couldn't find a proper solution to this one? At this point I'll just return the drive and build my own server which I was going to do eventually, I just ran out of space and needed a quick fix until I put together enough money for a proper server.

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

If the TM is not appearing, I think this is by design.

If it's one of the other 2 partitions, then I have no idea.

3. yellowsub821 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, its the media one that I can't get to appear. Doesn't make any sense to me

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Is it formatted on an MBR or GUID table?

5. yellowsub821 thread starter macrumors newbie

MBR, and at this point I'm just gonna shoot up to Best Buy and return it and start to build a server lol, although I am still stumped on this one.

6. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

That's probably the problem?

As I understand it, Mac OSX works largely with GUID Tables, so you can try that first before you return it.