Networking a printer for a Mac & PC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kirkbross, Oct 8, 2008.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I'm a newbe to networking and I'm trying to figure out a way I can use my USB printer with two Macs and a PC, without needing the other computer(s) powered on.

I have a Wireless-G router with no USB hub and the Canon i9100 has no ethernet jack. What's the cheapest way to get the printer to talk to both Macs and PC and what hardware would I need to buy?

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Airport Express. If you don't want the printer to actually be connected to one of those 2 computers, the Airport Express is the best option for about 100 bucks, or find the older one here for about 59 bucks.

You would hook it up to your wireless network in a particular mode (can't remember the name) and it won't act like a 'router' but just a print server.

3. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Cool... that's what I was thinking. Could I use a print server to network a scanner in addition to the printer?

4. junior77 macrumors regular

In theory yes...

But good luck finding one that is both mac/pc compatible.

I've tried using the Dlink DPR-1260, what a mess....printer functionality was shady at best, and scanner support was non-exixtent. Only good for all-in-one printer/scanner.

5. milk242 macrumors 6502a

If you want network scanning I would just get a new printer such as a brother multifunction network printer. I believe they should work with OS X