Networking a printer...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by techie4life, Sep 2, 2007.

1. techie4life macrumors 6502

hey guys, I have a Lexmark Optra S 1625 printer that I would LOVE to be able to network. It has an ethernet port on the back, but I can't seem to find out how to get it networked. I have tried plugging it into my wireless router, but I didn't have much luck. Any ideas? I just want to get rid of my loud "printer server," which is only a P4 PC sharing the printer. I would share it off of my iMac, but I obviously don't have a Parallel port...

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

That's a postscript printer - it should be easy. (there are driver issues with non-postscript printers)
    After plugging it into the router, print a test page from front panel, or maybe there's a test button somewhere. Pay attention to the IP address and port name or queue name, and enter those in the appropriate place in printer setup. There's help available in Finder Help > Mac Help.

3. techie4life thread starter macrumors 6502

That did it for the iMac, thanks so much. Now do you know how I can get this printer to work for a Windows laptop using wireless?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think you can just do:

- Start -> Settings -> Printers & Fax -> Add Printer -> next -> A network printer -> connect to this printer (middle option)

And then enter in \\ followed by the IP address you just found.

5. techie4life thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help guys. I got it to work by installing Bonjour for Windows on the laptop.