Networking advice for Wireless router+2PCs+external HDD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Barabus2001, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Barabus2001 macrumors newbie

I would like to design a wireless network that shares a wireless router with 2 PC desktop and one MacBook Pro. The MBP would be wireless most often but sometimes it would be hooked to Ethernet for big transfers. The features I would like to have include, back-up storage for all 3 computers and a clone for the MacBook PLUS a shared usb printer. In addition, I would like to run iTunes (wirelessly) from the networked external drive and possibly keep my photos there too. This would be a central photo "server" for my wife's and my photos.

First, I realize that the external drive may have to be formatted in FAT32 to do what I want- clone the MBP? Please confirm if that is true, maybe a drive could be partitioned and dual formatted (but I don't think so). There is a app that allows the PC to read/write FAT32. What is the recommended practice?

Second, which wireless router gives me the best performance for the system I want to build? The Buffalo seem highly rated on Newegg. I expect that the Airport Extreme does not get me there, but would listen to suggestions?

Third, I there a better way to do this overall? If so then I am open to suggestions before I spend a lot of time (and money).

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well first of don't format to FAT32. Format to the OS X HFS+ and install MacDrive on the PCs. I don't say this to be a snob Mac users but as someone who knows the this will be the fastest way to share files quickly without any hassle to OS X.

I then first work get a USB 2 Powered hub and buy an Airport Extreme. Then get two USB2 external hard drives and use one for a Time Machine backup and the other as a media store for shared music & videos.

Now if you want something with an iTunes server then look at the Drobo FS.

It all depend on your budget. Just remember you don't have to buy everything all at once. Just spread it out over a couple of months and you can get everything you want.

3. Barabus2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems like good advice. I was thinking about the Qnap ts-219P which is similar to the Drobo FS.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just remember that on the Extreme's USB2 port you can put a USB2 hub onto the port. I do this and it works great with two externals and a printer.