Networking / AirPort Express Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by michaelsaxon, Jan 10, 2010.

1. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

I'm in a bit of a special circumstance and need some help.

I'm in Afghanistan and our internet service consists of a large dish, connected to a series of switches, with lan cables that terminate in individual rooms. Normal service includes plugging in the cable to your machine, where you get a login screen, allowing you to purchase internet / log in.

When I try to plug instead into my AirPort Express, I can only get the internet to work when I place it in bridge mode. I'd like to get it to assign IP addresses to whatever I add to my network so that I can use both my MBP and my iPhone wirelessly. However, when I try to use it as a DHCP device, I can never get any device to find a web page, etc.

If I leave it as a bridge, it will work wirelessly with my MBP, but if I try to use it wirelessly with my iPhone, it asks for my login name / password and only will allow one device on at a time.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

you need a router of some sort to dhcp everything behind the lan connection. even then, they might have disabled that function by limiting the number of 'hops' so even with more hardware it might not work.

how about trying the lan cable into the MBP, and then share the internet connection (using the MBP as a router) for the iPhone. if that works, then at least you'll know that they aren't limiting the connection. only thing i can think of at the moment. best of luck.