Networking Apple hardware

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by evilpaddy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. evilpaddy macrumors regular

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum - never a good opening comment!

I currently have two iMacs, a Mac Mini and am waiting on the nMP. I have several Airport base stations, two rMBPs, a TimeCapsule and several non-apple devices that are either hard wired or wirelessly connected though a bridged WiFi hotspot. I've learned that Apple hardware, particularly the airports do not play nicely with others.

The arrival of my nMP has forced me to move my 35TB RAID array and with it some of my other hardware. It seems a good opportunity to replace the backbone of the network as my current infrastructure is a load of cobbled garbage which results in less than stellar network speeds.

I'm looking to purchase a new ADSL modem, possibly replace the wifi component and install a proper switch. My Ciso router went to my work after an outage there, so I am happy to build it from the ground up. my RAID array supports dual link aggregation which would be nice to utilise.

Any tips on some decent kit that will cope with the bandwidth? I'm getting increasingly frustrated in one device causing the modem to stall though bittorrent... I'd prefer not to initiate QOS and traffic shaping - I'd rather it just worked...

2. cbm macrumors member

3. evilpaddy thread starter macrumors regular

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

What are your expectations with using link aggregation?

5. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

also, take a look at this. http://www.amazon.com/GS724T-300-ProSafe®-24-port-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B00358MP02

I just redid my entire home network, making a central hub in basement i used a rack mount box and and connected all the wire to a patch panel from there to the switch from there to a router and then the modem. i am using TC and AE for wifi.. everyihgn is super fast :D

the switch has not arrived yet (i expect it today/tomorrow) and can then tell you how the LAG works :D

6. evilpaddy thread starter macrumors regular

Redundancy - nothing more! I'm aware that you don't get better speeds...

Alternatively, the RAID Array has two network cards. If I assign them two different IP addresses then I can connect a MBP directly to the second port via the TB to ethernet adapter. This gives me better transfer speeds for one off transfers, but I notice that the RAID array is no longer visible on the network using the first port. Seems an odd peculiarity and I can't fathom why it does it.

7. evilpaddy thread starter macrumors regular

8. cbm macrumors member

Go cable instead? :D

(cable is much faster than DSL where I live)

9. evilpaddy thread starter macrumors regular

My nearest traffic light is over 200km away.

No chance of cable!

10. goMac macrumors 603

I have an Airport. Works nicely with everything. Macs. PCs. Linux machines. Non-Apple network gear. Android devices...

What specifically is the problem with the airport?

11. rasputin666 macrumors member

rasputin666

you mind posting what kind of array you're using? i have almost 20TB but it's not all in one array. Thx

12. evilpaddy thread starter macrumors regular

nothing really.. I have three or four of them but i find the signal flaky at best. Are the newer AC ones any better? I dont have any AC devices but if the signal strength is stronger....

Synology Diskstation DX1512+ with 2x DX513. 15x3TB HDD in RAID6