Networking beginner needs FAST help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cleo, Dec 20, 2010.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I've just discovered that I can't work from home today, so I'm going to camp out at my dad's office with my mini. He says they have a guest Wifi network, but it won't let me access Gmail (which I need for work), Facebook, and who knows what else I might need whilst doing research. I don't know much about networks (I'm a Mac girl; my knowledge of networks pretty much consists of "plug in Airport"). I don't know how they're blocking the sites they're blocking. I just know I need to get around it!

Can anyone give me a concise, "go here, put in these numbers" kind of solution to ensure that my browser has free access today? I'm willing to pay for a pay service or app, if that's necessary. Not terribly worried about other ports being open; I can live without iChat if I can reach Gmail & Facebook via the web.

Appreciate any and all help, especially if it's fast! ;)

Oh — using whatever the latest version of 10.6 is. Browser == Safari.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

In other words, you're willing to do whatever is necessary to get your dad in trouble? Those sites are blocked for a reason and, if you circumvent that block, they will find out.

I'll give you a hint: search Google for "proxy". Unless, of course, work has blocked those sites as well, in which case you should just give up. I'm not entirely convinced that you "need" Facebook for research unless your research involves social media or something like that ;)

3. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

There is no simple way to just plug in some numbers in safari and access sites that are being blocked at the router of via a DNS server, you can try a proxy but any network admin worth his salt will have those blocked also.