Networking confusion. (netBIOS, share name, SMB...etc)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LiquidHarmony, Aug 1, 2009.

1. LiquidHarmony macrumors newbie

How do I connect to a Windows based PC using it's name? (Apparently aka netBIOS?) How do I browse a network if my computer for some reason is unable to detect other computers on the network on the 'Shared' list? (The lack of refresh option makes this even more difficult) Why does it seem so difficult to simply browse the network for other PCs? How do I ping a computer using only it's name/netBIOS? (I got the impression that name=netBIOS because the netBIOS is what Windows XP uses to connect to other PCs. Not even sure if I got that right.)

Also, what's the point of my share name? (UserName.local)

There is also the issue with unreliable file sharing on OS X's side. Folders and files keep appearing and disappearing when browsing from a Windows PC. But I don't suppose there's anything we could do about that.

So many questions. I'm confused, and my network productivity has slowed down since my move to Mac. Networking with Windows PCs is the only aspect of my Mac I'm quite unsatisfied with. I hope it's just because I don't know how to use it.

2. Steve-M macrumors regular

Rest assured there is nothing wrong with networking on your Mac. Once you get a handle on what you need to do, you will find that networking on a Mac is much simpler to setup, and will out preform the same on windows. Please read GUIDE: Networking Windows with OS X. It should help quite nicely. :)

3. Aya Aya macrumors newbie

The netBIOS name is the name used for Windows PC's to connect to each other. However, the netBIOS name is not always the same as the computer name - most of the time it is though.